As a professional working in the oil and gas industry, you want your resume (and/or professional profile) to display the most effective representation of your skills and experience possible.
There are endless amounts of guides out there explaining the “do’s and don’ts” of resume writing, but few are specific to our industry.
As recruiters at The Global Edge Consultants, we know first-hand what hiring managers want to see (and don’t want to see) on a resume.
Here are some tips to help your resume sell your skills.
• Include specific project names, types and locations/regions
• Include equipment or software experience specific to each position
• Be mindful of keywords that recruiters might use when searching for similar positions and include those frequently. For example, onshore/offshore, upstream/midstream/downstream, subsea, topsides, deep water
• List any training, certifications or special designations related to software. For example, Subject Matter Expert/SME, Admin or Administrator, Super User
• Highlight experience specific to the industry, including as many details as possible for these positions.
• Group all of your experience together. List each position separately, with start dates, end dates, companies and position titles, with specific projects, etc. for each
• Write in paragraphs, or even complete sentences. Short, bulleted statements are preferred. Any resume should be easy to follow, but particularly in our industry where recruiters are looking for key terms or experience
• Be vague in terms of what your actual position was. It helps to put your job title in bold font. If your responsibilities change within a company, list each position separately.
• Focus too much on experience that is not relevant to the industry, or experience from over 20 years ago. Brief summaries of these positions should be sufficient.
Making some minor adjustments to your existing resume could make all the difference in finding your next career opportunity.
The Global Edge Consultants
The Global Edge Consultants is a full service firm specializing in the recruitment of technical and project personnel for industries such as Government, Oil and Gas, Petrochemical, Chemical, Engineering, Power, Nuclear and Manufacturing. Check out our careers page!